A basement is often a forgotten yet precious space in your home that can provide countless benefits when adequately utilized. Basements offer endless potential uses and design options. However, a basement remodel is not a small undertaking and calls for several considerations before hiring a Design-Build Contractor.
A basement remodel can turn an underserved and unused area into the most active part of your house. A dull dungeon can quickly become a hosting area for your next party or even a quaint retreat when you need to relax.
Understand why you want a basement remodel
Determining the purpose of remodeling your basement is the best place to start. Consider questions such as:
- Are you looking for a place for your family to relax?
- Do you need more room for entertainment?
- Have you always dreamed of having a home gym?
- Do you work from home and need office space?
Each situation is unique to you and your needs. Working with a larger area like a basement, you can bring a new sense of life to your home. Don’t be afraid to explore bold possibilities. After understanding your purpose for a basement remodel, write down your ideas in a well-illustrated way to give your Design-Build Contractor an excellent starting point. Determining your “why” is equally crucial for setting up the next steps for success.
Understand what you want from your remodel
Once you’ve determined the intent of the project, you’ll be able to explore what you want from the space. Define and prioritize what’s important to you. You should consider items such as:
- Do you need a multi-functioning media wall for entertainment?
- Do you want any special features like a wet bar?
- Do you want another bathroom in your home?
- Do you want a larger desk/workspace that includes shelves or storage?
- Do you want more general storage space?
- Do you have any preferences on flooring?
Document your must-haves and bring them to your Design-Build Contractor for advice. A well-thought-out plan will help you get the most out of your basement remodel.
Educate yourself on basement remodel timelines
The elapsed time to complete your remodel — from initial planning to a final walk-through — is probably longer than you would expect. Home improvement shows on TV often give homeowners an unrealistic expectation of what’s possible.
Here are some key reminders when anticipating a timeline for your project:
- The design and planning phase typically ranges from one to three months, depending on the size and scope of the project. These phases are critical to accurately capture your vision and translate it into a realistic construction plan that can be executed by professional tradesmen.
- The pre-construction phase can range from two to six months. Project size and scope play a factor, as does the production calendar of your contractor. This work includes tasks such as finalizing drawings and submitting them to the building department, creating a detailed construction schedule, coordinating various trade contractors, helping clients finalize fixtures and finish selections, placing material orders and scheduling deliveries.
- The construction phase can range from two to six months depending on project size and scope. During this phase you’ll often communicate with a project manager or lead carpenter who is responsible for day-to-day management of the project.
Communication is key. Unfortunately, most remodeling contractors don’t use a reliable project management process, so they are unable to establish realistic completion dates. A professional Design-Build Contractor should have systematic approach which allows them to build realistic schedules and communicate important dates to homeowners.
Understanding how to budget for a basement remodel
Before searching the internet to determine how much you should invest, understand that your basement remodel is unique to your specific basement and design. The internet is undoubtedly a valuable tool, but there is no proper way to know the project’s total cost until you get a professional proposal from a Design-Build Contractor. Obtaining no-cost estimates without the proper design and preparation is a recipe for disaster.
The first step in accurately planning your budget is to determine your scope of work – the why and what you want from a remodel. Then you can reach out to an experienced Design-Build Contractor who will be able to create a highly detailed design plan for your project
A Design-Build Contractor can provide a realistic range based on their experience and your vision for the space. Basement remodels offer numerous design options, so there is no proper way to gauge cost without the help of your Design-Build Contractor.
Finding a Design-Build Contractor
Basement remodels require a significant amount of planning and time. Design-Build Contractors will be able to approach your project with realistic intentions to deliver what you want from your basement. They provide a well-rounded suite of design, architecture, and engineering skills. Working with a Design-Build Contractor will simplify the process for you and remove a significant amount of stress
Interested in discussing your upcoming basement remodeling project near Cleveland? Contact Advance Design and Remodel to request a consultation.